Friday, August 20, 2010

Free - but oh! such a cost!

For the last several years I have really been into free stuff. I've lately been on the lookout for a beat up tractor or parts to fix my current tractor with a price tag of cheap or nothing. I don't need a tractor to cut my grass, so spending money on a tractor or parts wasn't justified. Well, about two weeks ago someone on my local Jeep forum posted up a free lawn tractor. The tractor was not running and needed a bit of work. I am close friends with the person getting rid of the tractor so I replied to the post, texted, and followed up with a phone call to ensure I was first in line (I know, how much of a line can there be for a beat up, non-running tractor?).
So after borrowing a truck and hitching up the trailer, Jack and I made a quick run up the highway to pick up the tractor. I spent the drive wondering what might possibly be wrong with the tractor. Could be anything! I didn't know if I would be able to fix the tractor but I did know that I was tired of push mowing the backyard in the 100 degree heat. So at worst I would be out the cost of the gas required to pick the tractor up and return it to the Mapleshade Garage - also known as the Causey Home for Unwanted Tractors and Wayward Jeeps. Turns out the tractor needed a fuel pump (had a spare in the shop!), a tune up, a brake adjustment, and the tracking down and repair of a wire in the operator safety system. All done and the tractor is now running.
Yes, the free tractor is a JD. A John Deere. For those that may not know my tractor allegiances I used to run this bumper sticker on my truck.
I've been known to get in lengthy arguments over the attributes of John Deere tractors vs. other makes. When people say "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" I've saucily replied with a witty "Yeah, no other tractor runs like a Deere - because the others actually run!" (Don't try to figure out tractor brand wars, there is no logic or intelligence involved).


For years I was anti-Deere. Hated them and the people that claimed their superiority. Only recently have I discovered that the source of my JD distaste (and that of Harley Davidson motorcycles as well) is that many of the owners of these machines latch on to the image of the brand rather than compare the product with others. People have the idea that a John Deere is the pinnacle of lawn tractor ownership. Just because it's green and yellow it must be the best. Not always the case as there are several brands that do quite well when compared to the 'ol JDs.


I have since mellowed out and can appreciate many different machines for the capability they have rather than the company that supplies the tractor. Which I suppose is all for the best as I think I might have sold my soul - I now rock this bumper sticker!


1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute.....you borrowed a truck? How "Dale City" do you have to be to own a truck, but need to borrow a truck to go down the road?!

    Congrats on the new ride - JD or not - it beats push mowing. Bet I can break my tractor before you break yours! (Remember that I'm on my second $100 mower in two years...)

    ReplyDelete