Saturday, April 2, 2011

One Failure as a Parent

I love music.

I listen to a wide variety of artists throughout every genre. I promised myself that as a parent I would pass on to my son my appreciation for all types of music.

I talk to Jack when music is playing in the car, and tell him the band name. I tell him the words to the chorus (when appropriate!) and I share short stories about the artist's history. If I am flipping through the stations while in the car and Jack hears a song he wants to listen to, I leave it on that song regardless of whether I like the song or not. I do everything in my ability to encourage his interest in music.


So imagine my dismay when Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody began to play and within the first ten notes of the song Jackson blurts out excitedly "I love this song! It's by the Muppets!"


See, there is a video out there on the 'net that has all of the Muppets playing and singing Queen's great hit. The video is very cute and has a funny bit in it where Animal goes off on a tangent with the 'Momma' bit.... anyway, my horror derives from the fact that now tied into Jack's brain the Muppets are the artists that sing a great rock classic, not Queen.

Sigh.....

Jack managed to redeem himself in music credibility last night by hearing the song Should I Stay or Should I Go? by the Clash and not only did he yell "I love this song!", he then began to sing along. Correctly.

(Monologue in my head -YES! I've had an affect! Jack recognizes a song for the great beat and catchy lyrics and is able to identify a classic!)


And then in the middle of a verse he stops to add "This song is great! It's from the Rug Rats show!"


ARRGGHHH!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment