Friday, June 22, 2012

The Rabbit and the Hare

"The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry"
-Brooks Hatlen in The Shawshank Redemption

I keep finding myself amazed at people who seem to always be in a rush. Not a day goes by I don't see someone driving like a madman to get somewhere. My entertainment in heavy traffic is to spot the person that is driving crazily because they JUST HAVE TO GET THERE NOW!  The afternoon trip home today certainly did not disappoint me - sure enough, there was a gentleman in a Saab 9/3 that drew my attention. This driver (hereafter to be referred to simply as "The Saab" both because it refers to the model of car being driven and because The Saab sounds quite like S.O.B.) most certainly had to be late for a meeting with the President. Or maybe he had a scantily clothed super model waiting for him at home. Most likely he was just a moron. The Saab first caught my eye as it entered the stop and go traffic. The Saab did so by pulling out of a side street with a perfectly executed, 30mph rolling stop.(I guess stop signs don't apply to morons.) Once The Saab was comfortably nestled behind me in the long line of stalled traffic, the The Saab began to hunt for a way around me. Three lanes of stopped cars and I'm the one that's holding up this Saab!

The Saab could find no opening in the traffic to get around me. So The Saab did what any rational person would do in the situation. He honked and threw his hands in the air in disgust. Oh! Thank you! Honking at the 130 cars in front of you will solve the traffic problem! We all were unaware that we could simply move forward whenever we wanted! Thank you for pointing out the simple solution!

The Saab fumed and honked a bit more until traffic began to slowly creep ahead. Once cars had moved several feet ahead The Saab whipped to the left and sped around me. Only to brake to a hard stop forty feet later. This dance of The Saab lasted another five minutes as the traffic lights cycled several times. I kept track of The Saab as we crept along - he made 15 lane changes and just as many hard starts and stops. One mile later The Saab, after all of his lane changes, starts, stops, and frustration, ended up one full car length in front of me. As I entered the turn lane to head away from traffic towards the house, I caught the eyes of The Saab in his rearview mirror. I sweetly waved at the driver -who promptly pointed out that I really was Number 1- and then I eased on down the road.

Some people are wound way too tight. No need to be frustrated by things you have no control over. You live in Washington, D.C.. Land of crowded streets and horrible vehicle congestion. 

Relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment